"A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning" -Brad Henry

Blog post #3- Inclusivity

Inclusion is an extremely important topic, especially in education. Everyone deserves the right to learn in a way best suited to their needs. As a future educator, a support worker for autistic children and youth, and as a sister who has a sibling with a learning disability, I understand the importance of inclusion. Although, I will say due to the fact that we have been growing up in each generation believing there is only one way to learn and if you can’t learn that way then you do not deserve success. Luckily, as time has gone on we are shown this is not true, and having an inclusive environment should be at the top of educators’ priorities.

I have seen the poster comparing equity and equality in this week’s reading multiple times before in my program and I find I always go back to it. I try not to use the word equal because in order to be inclusive you need to be aware of everyone’s needs and decide fairly where you will give more to those who need it. The UDL guidelines website is something I have also seen a lot in my program and for every lesson, we make we were asked to include some potential scenarios. In my practicum last Spring there was a student who received support from an EA and they were also legally blind, in order for them to learn efficiently we blew up each sheet of paper and we always printed it in black ink for them to see it better. My mentor teacher provided tools so the student was set up for success.

Prompt: Consider the learning environment for your current design. What potential barriers can be reduced or eliminated to provide more pathways for learner success?

In our blueprint, we had to think of multiple scenarios and the various students who could be using our interactive learning resource. We also thought of our assessment pieces and talked about how we could be inclusive in our grading. We thought about allowing students to draw, talk, or write their answers. We also thought about providing subtitles for videos so those who have a hard time hearing or learn better as they read and watch could follow along. We also thought about providing a pause and back button so students could take their time watching videos. We also talked about providing free IPADs and materials to those that need them.

« »